This diabetes-friendly recipe yields 2 servings.
- Energy per serving: 290.
- Egg white: 16 grams.
- Whole carbohydrates: 15 grams.
- Whole fats: 16 grams.
- 2 eggs.
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil.
- 1 cup spinach, coarsely chopped.
- ¼ cup cooked black beans.
- 1 medium entire wheat tortilla.
- ½ cup grated cheese (a form that melts properly, like cheddar or Monterey Jack), divided.
- Scorching sauce (like Cholula).
- Sea salt to style.
1. To cook dinner the eggs, warmth 1 teaspoon oil in a medium skillet (well-seasoned forged iron or nonstick) over medium warmth till shimmering. Add the chopped spinach and cook dinner, stirring usually, till wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the black beans to the skillet. Pour within the scrambled eggs and cook dinner, stirring usually, till the eggs are simply set, about 1 to three minutes. Switch the combination to a bowl to pause the cooking course of (the eggs will cook dinner within the quesadilla).
2. To organize the quesadilla, warmth the tortilla over medium warmth, turning sometimes. As soon as the pan and tortilla are heat, sprinkle half the quesadilla with ¼ cup of the cheese. Brush the cheese with scrambled eggs, then high the scrambled eggs with virtually ¼ cup of the cheese, reserving about 1 tablespoon of the cheese for later. Press the empty tortilla half over the toppings.
3. Let the underside of the quesadilla cook dinner for a minute, then rigorously flip the quesadilla over with a spatula. Instantly sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of cheese over the recent facet of the quesadilla and let it soften whereas the opposite facet cooks for a couple of minutes. Flip the quesadilla over once more and let the cheese sizzle within the quesadilla for about 2 minutes. Use the spatula to get underneath the melted cheese facet and switch once more. If mandatory, fry that facet for a couple of extra minutes, till either side are good, crispy and golden brown.
4. Place the quesadilla on a chopping board to chill for a couple of minutes, then lower every quesadilla into 2 slices with a pizza cutter or very sharp knife.
Stauffer notes that you need to test the diet label of your tortilla as a result of the whole carbohydrate rely can range extensively relying on the model. To maintain this meal low-carb, choose one which comprises lower than 20 grams of whole carbohydrates.